Tuesday, June 29, 2010
In the Dark
I haven't posted in a while. Last week was quite eventful in our household. A series of storms blew through our area starting on Friday the 18th. We lost power for about 4 hours during the first storm. Then on the 21st a batch of severe storms swept through producing two tornadoes. One, a F2, touched down southwest of us and a F1 touched down in our city and went right down the main street of our city coming within 5 houses of ours. It was scary at the time because I was home alone with the dogs, J was at work. About 10 minutes before the tornado came through cell service went down and since we have no land line at our house I had no contact with the outside world. As the tornado came through it knocked down the transformer that supplies power to our neighborhood. I sat in the basement in the dark for a while until I couldn't see anymore lightning through the small window. I went upstairs and looked out the window, the rain had nearly stopped and one of my neighbors was outside so I went out too. I tried listening to the radio in my car to hear if there were anymore storms coming, but I was getting concerned looks from neighbors so I got out and just stood in the driveway looking at the lightning off in the distance. Thank goodness for my mother-in-law! She pulled up in her car and asked if I was okay. She said she heard reports there was a tornado touchdown and after she couldn't get a hold of my sister-in-law or me she decided to come check on us. Everyone was okay and I went to my mother-in-laws until J got home from work. We had no structural damage or trees down, which I think is a amazing considering how close it was to us. However, when we got home our basement had started to flood. We began bailing the sump pump and stayed up allll night doing this. At about 9:30am my father-in-law came to the rescue with a generator. He also brought us an industrial fan and dehumidifer to dry out the carpeting that had gotten wet. I am very lucky to have awesome in-laws, and to have them living so close too! We finally got power back on Wednesday, right before another storm hit, ha! So it was an eventful week but things are back to normal now and the forecast is sunny for the rest of the week so I'm hoping to finally get outside and start some yard work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment