I thought since I had my doctor's appointment with the new doctor last week that I would write an update. I'm hoping I can write this without getting emotional.
Let me start by saying that when I picked out a new doctor, I didn't just choose anyone. I looked at my options and watched the introduction videos and found one I really liked. In her video she talked about how during her first appointments with patients she likes to come in and talk with them while they are fully clothed before having them get undressed so they fell more comfortable and open. She also talked about how she was interested in helping women with reproductive issues, since she also specializes in fertility. I thought it would be a perfect fit.
So last Thursday I went to my appointment very optimistic. It was a long drive, 45 minutes, but for some reason all the OB/GYNs covered under my insurance seem to be located in the same area about 40 minutes away. The nurse was very nice, took my history and made note of all the concerns I wanted to talk about with the doctor. Then the doctor came in and she seemed nice. She started off by saying that I was very healthy, my cycles are slightly irregular, but other than that I'm healthy. We started talking about my concerns that my endo symptoms are returning and she asked about my diagnosis. When I told her what and where the doctor found the endo she didn't seem convinced. She said when endo is found on the ovary it's always somewhere else too and that either my doctor omitted that she found something, I was forgetting that she had told me she found it elsewhere, or that it really wasn't endo. Um, NO, I remember very well what my doctor told me but thanks for implying that I'm dumb. The clinic I went to does not share the same database as my old clinic so she couldn't bring up the pictures my doctor had saved on my file. I was already annoyed that she was questioning my previous doctor's intelligence without having read any of the information from my diagnosis. Then I asked about my irregular cycles and mentioned that they had been getting shorter since stopping birth control. She told me my cycles are within normal ranges (even though they aren't normal for me) and that it can take several months for my body to get back to normal after stopping bc, but there is an infertility drug that could make them more regular. Then I brought up how I chart my temps to keep track of my cycles and how I was on cycle day 23 and had not ovulated. She said something about how people read so much on the internet, but that charting is not a good way to detect ovulation. She talked about how most women ovulate 14 days before the start of their period so I can just count back 14 days. I asked how that would work when J and I start trying for a baby and she said well just have sex every other day days 9-21 of my cycle. She never even mentioned OPKs and I didn't think about that until after the appointment. I told her about my problems with bc and that I had stopped in July because of the side effects and how it wasn't helping and she said well it can take 5-6 months for the body to adjust to bc and it's normal to spot, even for several weeks. I was annoyed by this comment and replied "no, I wasn't spotting, I was having month long periods". She replied with "oh, well then I would have changed bc". Then at the end of our talk she asked me if I wanted bc. What?! Did you not just hear me talk about how much I disliked bc and how it made me depressed and act like a crazy person?! Why on earth would you think I want more of this?!
When I left the appointment I got teary eyed. I miss my old doctor sooo much. I just didn't feel like this new doctor cared or took my concerns seriously. She talked to me like I was stupid. I won't be going back to her, but this leaves me once again with no doctor. I'm thinking about becoming a member of the Endometriosis Association so I can get a list of doctors they recommend.
Currently, I'm on CD 28 and not only am I confused, but apparently so is Fertility Friend. First it couldn't detect an O day, then it said it probably occurred between days 13-22, and today it has crosshairs on day 25, but I've been cramping the past 2 days which normally signals an impending period. My temps are still up so I'm just waiting to see what happens. How is this normal?! I don't believe it. I've found a cure (or the closest thing to it) for my cramps though. Black Cohosh. When I started my supplements I had read about it so I thought I'd give it a try. I just take one capsule and it works all day. So much better than ibuprofen or tylenol. Thank you Mother Nature!
On an unrelated note I just have to say that I'm excited for my You Capture post on Thursday. I've been learning how to use Photoshop and had some fun playing with the photos.
Wow, that doctor sounded like she had no clue what she was talking about. Most people ovulate 14 days so just count back 14 days? Really? You have irregular cycles but you should ovulate on day 14 "like everyone else". What a crock! Sorry you had a bad experience and hope you find a doctor you love again!
ReplyDelete